Why not save money – because whether you’re the seller or the buyer, stuff still has to be moved!
Regardless of whether you’re selling or buying a house, save money is a good thing! Think about it – if you’ve sold your home, you’re going to have to move your stuff to your new residence. Purchased a new place to live? You’re going to have to move your stuff to your new residence. Moving your belongings is an inevitable part of the home selling or purchasing process; and it can get expensive…
As if boxing up and moving your possessions wasn’t overwhelming enough, the cost of using a moving company to haul your things to your new digs can get pricey – fast. We’re providing a few ways for you to save money on the expense of moving.
- Pack everything BEFORE the movers arrive. This is obvious to some people, while others are thinking “I’ll pack while the movers load the boxes.” Movers want you packed and ready before they arrive. It saves them time and ultimately, you save money.
- Don’t buy boxes for your move. Check with friends, family members and co-workers to see if they have any they can spare. Ask anybody you know who may have moved recently if they have extras laying around. Go to the local grocery store or even retail shops and ask for them for their boxes. When asking at the grocery, you’ll want to keep a couple things in mind. 1. Best not to take boxes from items that have been imported from other countries. They occasionally may harbor insects or other pests you don’t want in your home. 2. Try to get all of the boxes in similar sizes. It makes labeling and stacking them much easier!
- Try to schedule your move when moving companies aren’t as busy. Late fall or even winter are good times to book if you have any control over the timing. You can probably get a discount if they aren’t as busy.
- If you’re dealing with a local company, you may be able to negotiate your price. National chains are less likely to work with you on price.
- Work with a reputable mover. Check them out thoroughly.
- Consider buying moving insurance.
Know someone wanting to buy or sell a house? Give us a call. We’ll be happy to help. 269.488.1530